Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Justice Served?

    The point of this post is to examine and evaluate the three Grand Jury Indictments of Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints leader Warren Jeffs.  My topic is polygamy in Fundamentalist Mormon communities, of which Jeffs was, and as some contest, still is, the Prophet and leader.
    I ultimately found my document on the Texas Attorney General's website, which is where I originally started my search.  However, I did not know where to find what I was looking for, and so I Google searched "Texas v. Warren Jeffs", which led me to the document here: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/newspubs/releases/2010/120110indictment_jeffs.pdf.
    The most disturbing part of these documents are the description of Jeffs's crimes, which were sexual assault of a child under 17, and aggravated sexual assault of a child under 14, both of which he was prohibited from marrying or living with by state law, as well as a bigamy charge. In the FLDS world, sex and "celestial marriage" with young girls is not only normal, it is encouraged and highly regarded.
    Although it may at first glance be overlooked, it is interesting to note that the sexual assaults took place two to there and a half years previous to the indictment.  In my opinion, I think it is strange that the incidents were recognized and justice served, due to the usually tight security forces and intense privacy the FLDS community manages to sustain.  It is extremely lucky that this case was discovered and Jeffs apprehended.
    The documents are Grand Jury Indictments directly from the 51st Judicial District Court of Texas, and are therefore as credible as they can get.  Although it is great that the state of Texas finally managed to apprehend Jeffs for these three crimes, there are undoubtedly countless more similar acts that have gone undocumented.  I think that these documents serve as only a mere glimpse into what I'm sure is a life-long history of similar incidents.  Not to mention, Warren Jeffs is only one man.  Because of other research I have done, I know that there were four other men that were also indicted at the same time as Jeffs for similar charges, which makes one wonder just how many Fundamentalist Mormon men are out there sexually exploiting minors.

No comments:

Post a Comment